for all medical emergencies call the ambulance service
0800611116 for 24/7 health advice
092943005. All of our AFTER HOUR calls :
between 5 pm and 8 am week days and all weekends and public holidays:
are diverted to Homecare medical.
Homecare Medical is a teletriage organisation owned by ProCare and Pegasus Health, two of New Zealand’s largest primary health organisations.
We provide telephone services to GPs so their patients’ calls are answered after-hours, and national telehealth services (helplines) to the public, 24 hours a day, seven days a week.
Homecare Medical is the provider of the first integrated national telehealth service for New Zealand.
Through our after-hours service to GPs, we currently support more than 600 general practices that care for some 2.2 million New Zealanders right across the country. Our business is anchored in primary health care, but also seamlessly integrated with secondary care, emergency and community services through our telehealth contract with the New Zealand Government.
Underpinning all our services is specialist clinical decision support software, Odyssey Tele Assess, which Homecare Medical has adapted specifically to the New Zealand environment.
National telehealth services:
- Healthline 0800 611 116 – registered nurse assess and provide advice
- Quitline 0800 778 778 – support for people wanting to quit smoking and stay smokefree
- Alcohol Drug Helpline 0800 787 797 and text 8681 – advice, information and support about drinking or other drug use
- Depression Helpline 0800 111 757 and text 4202 – callers can talk through emotional and psychological issues with counsellors and via the National Depression Initiatives:
- Depression.org.nz – helping people find a way through depression
- The Lowdown and text 5626 – support to help young people recognise and understand depression or anxiety
- The Journal @ depression.org.nz – an online programme to help people learn skills to tackle depression
- Gambling Helpline 0800 654 655 and text 8006 – support for those worried about gambling or the gambling of others
- Poisons advice for the public 0800 POISON (0800 764 766) – advice and initial triage (delivered through the National Poisons Centre)
- Immunisation advice 0800 IMMUNE (0800 466 863) – providing advice to the public (in partnership with the Immunisation Advisory Centre (IMAC))
- Ambulance secondary triage – clinical telephone assessment by registered nurses for low acuity 111 calls to St John and Wellington Free Ambulance
- The Diver Emergency Service Hotline – advice and treatment of all diving related incidents, accidents or injuries, including the emergency management of decompression illness, 0800 4 DES 111 (0800 4337 111).